DAY OF ACTION DETAILS
- What: Acting on our ten demands, grassroots faith activists are calling for climate justice. Following globally sensitive COVID-safe guidelines, we’re gathering in small, socially-distanced groups or virtually to activate our shared moral power for climate justice. Here are some tips for deciding what your action should be:
- Choose one of the ten demands in the Sacred People, Sacred Earth statement that’s relevant to your community. For example, Australian religious communities are calling on their Prime Minister and Parliament to end new fossil fuel development.
- Choose a local action to address your chosen issue. For example, faith communities in the U.S. are calling on President Biden to stop the Line 3 pipeline and build back fossil free.
- Whether ringing a bell, blowing the shofar or conch shell, chanting, or meditating, be sure to post a photo online holding your sign with the #Faiths4Climate hashtag. Include your location, name of your religious or spiritual community, and your demand. You’ll find social media and other communications resources in this guide. You can also join our Sacred People, Sacred Earth Facebook group, where you can connect with other organizers, get live updates on the day of action, and upload your photos and videos on 11 March!
- Who: Identify a local or national target for your action who has the power to effect change on this issue. This could be your city’s mayor, a national government, a bank, or any other specific person or institution.
- Where: Select a location for your action. For example, your mosque, church, temple, or place of prayer; at home; or by a government office or site of environmental degradation. Choose a setting that you can access easily and safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- When: Actions held at your place of prayer or in a public space should take place at 11:00am in your time zone on March 11, 2021. This allows time for local media to cover what you are doing in time for their news cycle. Use the tools in this guide to publicize your action and to write your press release for local media.
- Why: People and planet face a vital threat and opportunity for renewal. Our moral imperative could not be clearer: religious and spiritual people must speak out on behalf of people and planet.
- JOIN: don’t forget to register your event below. Our voices and actions together are powerful!
ORGANIZE OR ATTEND AN ACTION
11 March 2021 people of faith and conscience all around the world are kicking off organizing for the biggest-ever faith-climate day of action, all at the grassroots. Sign up below to organize or attend an event in your area, with your community.
SIGN ON TO ATTEND SACRED PEOPLE, SACRED EARTH
You’ll receive resources, social media samples, and guidance on how to take part.
ORGANIZATIONS AND NETWORKS - CO-SPONSOR SACRED PEOPLE, SACRED EARTH
You’ll be listed on the Co-Sponsor page, and receive publicity and materials for your community or members.
Sacred People, Sacred Earth is organized by
Australian Religious Response to Climate Change
Instituto de Estudos da Religião (ISER – Brasil)
Faith & the Common Good (Canada)
Alianza Interreligiosa y Espiritual por el Clima (Chile)
GreenFaith Nigeria, hosted at Nigerian Conservation Foundation
Southern African Faith Communities Environment Institute
Inter-Religious Council of Uganda
Faith for the Climate Network (United Kingdom)
GreenFaith (USA and global coordinator)
Co-Sponsors for Sacred People, Sacred Earth: A Multifaith Global Day of Action include:
11th HOUR CALLING + African Council of Religious Leaders + Am Kolel + Bagbwe Agro-forestry and Cashew Program + Boulder County GreenFaith Circle + Boulder Shambhala Center + Bridgeway Baptist Church + Cape Town Unitarians + Center for Climate Justice and Faith of Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary + Christian Outreach Justice Mission Sierra Leone + Christian Response Women’s Network + CIDSE + Colectivo Cuadernos del Taller + Communities Inspired for Environmental Action + Creation Justice Ministries + Dayenu: A Jewish Call to Climate Action + Dompet Dhuafa + Eglise Evangelique Luthérienne au Congo + Eglise Evangélique Réformée du Canton de Vaud + Eglise Protestante de Genève + Emerson Unitarian Universalist Church + Environmental Justice Ministry of the United Church of Christ + Evangelical Lutheran Church of Cameroon + Faith Alliance for Climate Solutions + Faith in the Common Good: Communities Inspired for Environmental Action + First Unitarian Universalist Church of New Orleans + Fossil Free PCUSA + Franciscan Action Network + Franciscans for Justice + Global Catholic Climate Movement + Go Green Save the Environment + Green Muslims of New Jersey + Gulf Coast Creation Care + Heart Circle Sangha + IEPC/OBF + Iglesia Bautista + Iglesia Bautista Damasco + Iglesia Episcopal La Anunciación + Inspection Luthérienne de Bouxwiller + Interfaith Climate Action Network + International Climate Change Development Initiative + Living GreenFaith Circle SpiritGroup + Lutherans Restoring Creation + Maison Bleu Ciel + Maryknoll Sisters + Mayflower UCC + Metta Vihara Buddhist Retreat Centre + Mosques & Imams National Advisory Board + Mother Earth Project + New Mexico Interfaith Power and Light + Norwegian Interfaith Climate Network + Olympia Universalist Unitarian Congregation + One Earth Sangha + Parliament of World’s Religions + Plateforme Interreligieuse de Genève + Presbyterians for Earth Care + Qualpa Decent Enterprises Inc + Réseau des Églises Vertes + Religions for Peace + Riverside Center for Spiritual + Samar Island Forum for Sustainability & Resilience + Save Our Sacrament + SaxeFacts Law Professional Corporation + Scottish Ahlul Bayt Society + Serve the City + Shambhala Touching the Earth Collective + Sina LOKETA + South London Interfaith Group + St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church + Sufi Ruhaniat International + Tennessee Interfaith Power and Light + The Religious Society of Friends in Australia + Toile des Eglises Vertes en Afrique + Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth + United Religions Initiative + Universidad Reformada + Vajra Dakini Nunnery + Waterspirit + Westerly Area Peace and Justice + Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom Sierra Leone + Yale Forum on Religion and Ecology