GreenFaith Fellowship Program
The GreenFaith Fellowship Program is designed to educate, train and spiritually form religious and spiritual leaders and people of diverse faiths to work with GreenFaith to create communities to transform themselves, their spiritual institutions, and society to protect the planet and create a compassionate, loving and just world.
Some Fellows will have already worked on climate and environmental issues from a religious perspective and are seeking to deepen their work and connect it with a larger community. Others will be at an early stage of their engagement and are prepared to make a substantial commitment to the field. For both, the Fellowship Program provides an intensive experience of spiritual practice, education and training, enabling Fellows to deepen their commitment, learn about the intersection between theology, climate change and race, gender, poverty and other social justice issues, and to develop relational organizing, campaigning and public leadership skills. At the conclusion of their training, with affirmation and ongoing support from GreenFaith and their peers, Fellows will be able to start and support Circles and mentor others in their region to do the same, thus increasing the growth and power of the religious-environmental movement.
In 2021, 25 fellows from around the world will participate in 11 monthly on-line trainings and one in-person retreat at Stony Point Center in Stony Point, NY.
By the conclusion of the program, Fellows will be able to:
- Articulate the primary threats to the world’s climate and environment: growing authoritarianism, corporate greed and extremist cultural and religious forces
- Articulate and share their own eco-autobiography, grounding their leadership in their own experience and deep insights
- Give voice to religious and moral teachings that inspire them to respond to climate change and environmental injustice and to create a compassionate, loving and just world
- Create and thrive in an open, vulnerable and courageous online community and learning environment
- Create and support GreenFaith Circles: Communities of Care and Resilience that embody and amplify GreenFaith’s culture, mission, and vision and will:
- Develop rituals and spiritual practices for their Circles
- Teach basic relational organizing skills (how to hold a 1:1 conversation, deep reflective listening, effective meetings, campaign strategy)
- Develop strategic plans for their Circles to identify and work on local issues of significance
- Collaborate with Circles in other parts of the world, and with GreenFaith, to advance the global religious-environmental movement.
- GreenFaith will publicize the Fellowship Program beginning August 1, accepting applications through September 15. Between October 1-31, GreenFaith staff and Fellows from previous classes will review applications and conduct interviews with candidates. GreenFaith will announce the new class of Fellows in early November.
- Education and Training Sessions will take place monthly for 90 minutes between January-October. In November, Fellows experience a powerful affirmation and advancement ceremony to celebrate their commitment to the field and their new public identity as GreenFaith Fellows. As part of this, Fellows will be recognized through GreenFaith’s website and communications channels.
Cost to the Fellowship
Tuition for this 11-month program is $1500, with payment information shared with fellows accepted into the program. Email rev. abby mohaupt, GreenFaith’s Director of Education and Training at firstname.lastname@example.org. to request a scholarship.
September 15, 2020. We are now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 Fellowship Class, which begins in January 2021. Click here to access the application.