GreenFaith Water Shield
Information on the GreenFaith Water Shield
What is the GreenFaith Water Shield?
The GreenFaith Water Shield is a national designation signifying that a faith-based institution has taken steps - educational, spiritual, and practical - to conserve water, protect water quality, and mobilize its members and community to do the same at home.
Listen to a half-hour webinar describing the Water Shield for pilot sites in NJ.
The national Water Shield will be released in Fall 2013.
Interested? Email Program Director Stacey Kennealy
Why a Water Shield?
Because we waste water - and can save. The average American family of four uses 400 gallons of water a day!
Because pollution threatens water safety and quality. High demand, combined with more frequent droughts, more severe storm events, and growing pesticide use, puts our water in peril.
Because we can make a difference. If all inefficient toilets in U.S. homes were converted to WaterSense labeled models, we could save more than 640 billion gallons of water per year—the equivalent to 15 days of flow over Niagara Falls.
What are the Benefits for my Institution?
1. Be a leader. Water is one of the Earth’s most sacred resources. The Shield helps you do your part to protect it.
2. Engage new & younger members. The Shield is designed to engage your members and community. It’s green outreach in action.
3. Reduce your water costs. While savings will not be large, earning the Shield will reduce your facility’s water bills.
How Does my Institution Earn the Shield?
To earn the Shield, participating institutions complete steps scheduled around a Water Weekend. You’ll carry out:
- Educational activities for children, teens and adults
- A water-themed worship service
- Action Steps within your building and on your grounds, chosen from a list of suggested steps
- Outreach and education of members, to help them take steps at home. This will include distribution of a household pledge form which GreenFaith provides
You’ll complete these steps during your Water Weekend. Further efforts that require more time, such as establishing a rain garden, can take place over the following 2-3 months.
When you complete the Shield process, you’ll receive a certificate and an electronic badge for use with e-mails and social media and on your website.
How Does GreenFaith Help?
GreenFaith provides easy-to-follow instructions and all the materials you’ll need, including:
- Water-themed prayers, sacred texts and ideas for religious education
- Action steps for your building and grounds
- Action steps for your members to take at home
- Background information on water issues in the state of NJ
- Email and telephone support
What’s the Cost?
If you become part of the pilot class in New Jersey and complete your Water Weekend before October 1st, 2013, there is no cost! When the program is fully launched nationwide in the Fall 2013, there will be a $50 fee.
Interested? Email Program Director Stacey Kennealy.